Monday, July 22, 2013

Going back to nature - Grains

After writing a bit on grains for today's Thought of the Day, I figured I needed to say more about how versatile grains are. You can grind, roll, and sprout them, maybe even more. It is so amazing how many different kinds of grain there are; from amaranth to oats to many types of wheat.

Here is a link to all sorts of different types as well as their nutritional profiles.

Here is another link that tells you how long WHOLE grains can be stored.

As I said in today's TOD also, I am planning, hopefully in the near future, to start grinding and flaking my own whole grains. I will be able to buy whole grains in bulk through our co-op.

For sprouting, it's quite simple, and you have heard of wheatgrass, right?

There are also these really cool lids to put on 5 gallon buckets and air eaters to help keep your grains the longest and still be able to take some out as needed.

Once I have all the necessary components, I can't wait to try these 2 recipes... here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment