Thursday, April 5, 2012

Passover

If some of don't know, Passover begins at sundown tonight, which means that we are beginning a week of not eating any leaven. Leaven is yeast, baking soda, etc. Anything that makes something rise in baking or cooking.

I have spent all day baking. My children helped me and were actually fighting over who got to put the next ingredient in the various recipes next! We made UL fruit bread, UL pound cake, and UL shortbread cookies, so hopefully we are set for the week on a breakfast bread and desserts.

I cannot wait until tonight's Passover dinner. I have ground lamb with feta, garlic, salt and pepper marinating in the fridge, so I can make lamb/feta patties to put on top of parsley rice (remember no leaven in, so no burger buns!), then I have broccoli to steam, and I made the charoset this morning, which is also marinating in the fridge. For dessert, I am planning the pound cake topped with strawberries, vanilla ice cream on the side and whipped cream on top. So now you can see why I can't wait!

I am planning many casseroles for this week and also  pasta dishes. For breakfasts, there is always the normal eggs, sausage/bacon and orange juice, or I also have an UL baked oatmeal, that we actually eat periodically throughout the year. So you can see, it really isn't that hard to go without leavened products for 8 days.

Are any f my blog followers also celebrating Passover, Unleavened Bread, and First Fruits? If so please comment on what your Passover dinner consisted of.

No comments:

Post a Comment