Sunday, January 19, 2014

Condiments

Everyone has the basic 3 condiments in their refrigerator. Ketchup, mustard, and mayo.

I thought I would share my recipes, for 2 of these, that I have been using for a while now, with all of you. If you were like me, I searched and searched for an awesome recipe, mainly so I could be sure I knew where all of the ingredients came from. I just don't trust many companies now, so I make as many things as I can myself.

Ketchup

1 can (7oz) organic tomato paste (I use Woodstock)
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar (Spectrum)
1/4 cup maple syrup (local)
1/4 cup water (we have RO water)
1 tsp sea salt (Real or Himalayan)
1/4 tsp onion powder (Frontier)
1/4 tsp garlic powder (Frontier)
1 tbsp. whey (homemade from our raw milk)

Put all ingredients (except whey) into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix with a whisk. Reduce to a high simmer for about 20 minutes. Cool, then mix in whey. Put in a mason jar and set on top of your refrigerator for 8 hours. Refrigerate for up to 2 months.


Mayo

1 egg at room temperature (fresh from the farm, free range, pastured...)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar (Bragg's) (you could sub with white vinegar or lemon juice)
1 tsp water
2 tsp mustard (yellow or Dijon) (Woodstock or Annie's)
1/8 tsp salt (Real or Himalayan)
1 cup oil
(I use 1/2 grape seed and 1/2 extra light olive. You could also use sunflower)
(La Tourangelle, Bertoli)
2 tsp whey

Pour directly in a quart mason jar. Using an immersion blender, with the blade part sitting on the bottom of the jar, pulse 2-3 times, then hold power on while moving the blender up and down in the jar. You will have nice, thick mayo within 30 seconds.

Let sit out for 4 hours on top of refrigerator, then put in refrigerator for up to 2 months.



I get most of these ingredients at wonderful prices through our co-op, so that keeps our cost down even further. I love that I can make these basics and even more for my family and not have to pay top dollar for the "organic" brands, which still have undesirable ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment