Sunday, March 30, 2014

Life without a sewing machine

Right now I am in a pickle. I have many sewing projects, as well as 2 children who want to learn how to sew, and yet, all I have is my serger and my old White sewing machine that has a mind of it's own. My Singer XL 400 embroidery arm decided to stop right in the middle of a project, so I of course had to send the entire machine (even though the machine could still sew perfectly well) off for repairs. That was almost 4 weeks ago!

After 1 week, I went and dug my old machine out, not remembering what was really wrong with the thing in the first place. I plugged it in, did a few little projects and started Tabitha and Grady on a sewing machine curriculum that I found. Then it happened. The whole reason I about threw the thing out the window years ago. It starts doing zig zags when on the straight stitch, the bobbin threads get all messed up... We have learned to just take a deep breath, turn the machine off, and walk away. It's amazing, when we come back and turn it back on the next day, it works just as it is supposed to, until it decides we have sewn enough for the day.

Anyway, I have had to be very creative with my serger to be able to get most of my children's spring/summer wardrobe at least most of the way done. I used a rolled hem on Tabitha's swimsuit for the year. I have also used the blind hem to get a pillow cover completed.

I am really hoping my machine comes back in since I still have shorts for the boys, 1-2 dresses for Tabitha, and a special nursing dress I came up with for me.

Of course, I had just been ready to start teaching myself zippers. I even found an invisible zipper foot for $0.01 plus $4.95 shipping for my machine on Amazon.

I also found 2 other cool feet I had never heard of before, that I want to try sometime this year. The Daisy foot and the pleater foot look so cool and I've watched many videos on YouTube on how they work. I have many ideas. Ideas and I are dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment