Friday, October 29, 2010

Garden update

Ok, there are a few things.

First of all, there has not been a frost yet. I know that we really like this warm weather, but I am getting impatient. I really want to get the garlic and shallots in the ground before they start sprouting in my kitchen!

Second, Eric has convinced me to try a row of Yukon Gold potatoes, so I have reserved the last 3 that we bought at the Farmer's Market a couple weeks ago that have begun to sprout. I am excited to see what happens. It's a good thing he said something again, since I have to plant them with my other fall vegetables.

Third, I am not happy. I realized last week that if I had thought about it, I could have had a fall harvest of carrots already this year! I just wish I had planned better. Oh well, next year I hope to have an over abundance of fruit and vegetables.

Fourth, I am contemplating... The strawberry plants that we have out front are doing wonderful, if you can count the MANY shoots and green leaves. The thing is, I have had them out there for 3 years now, and I still have yet to get a real harvest out of it. Yes, I did have about 30 berries this year, but from a 12 foot section of probably 100 plants?? My new Idea is to have Eric build me a raised bed out front in the spring, probably only a 16'x2'. I want to grow blueberry bushes and then have a new variety ( or maybe even transplant the ones I have - I can't stand wasting them) of strawberries as a ground cover for them. I have been researching and found a blueberry farm that also sells blueberry plants in Mansfield. I'm just hoping that they have 3-5 year old ones so we can have blueberries this coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment