Monday, September 12, 2011

Making my own... EVERYTHING!

I am truly amazed what I have learned this year alone. I have taught myself more techniques in sewing, gardening, canning, cooking, baking, and crocheting than I would have ever dreamed. I have also learned how to make my own vanilla extract, soap and lotion.

I have been researching even more about other toiletry products and am excited to now teach myself how to make peppermint extracttoothpaste, sunscreen, massage oils, and deodorant. I am also just discovering all the wonderful things you can do with coconut oil and also bentonite clay.

Bentonite clay in an amazing and versatile powder.

Here is what I found in my research so far.

For a clay mask:  Using glass, pottery or wooden container, (do not use metals) combine bentonite with sufficient liquid to make a pasty gel. Let it sit 2 or 3 minutes. Using fingertips, spread a consistent layer to fully cover the skin ( avoid getting clay in mouth, eyes, ears, nose.) Sit, if possible, and relax, think some healing thoughts, and allow the clay to become dry. (4 min. for more sensitive skin and 10-12 minutes for normal skin.) As it tightens, it is working and removing impurities. Wash thoroughly and gently to remove the masque. Follow with a natural toner and moisturizer.
Alternatives to water in the clay masque-paste are almost endless: apple cider vinegar, essential oil waters (just a drop or two), herb tisanes (peppermint, chamomile, comfrey, calendula, ginger, lavender, etc.) Powdered herbs can be added to the clay before mixing (marshmallow, orange peel powder, slippery elm bark.

Clay facial masques, poultices, and baths remove toxins directly through the skin (the largest organ of elimination of the human body.)

--------
Taken internally, Bentonite can absorb pathogens, viruses, mold, pesticides, herbicides,remove radioactive residues and more. Bentonite’s drawing properties and ease of elimination facilitate the removal of intestinal toxins. Deep cleansing optimizes the body's natural healing abilities. Detoxification improves organ function and optimizes cell and tissue repair and provides resistance to infection.

Clay can help eliminate cysts, improves intestinal regularity, relieve chronic constipation, diarrhea, indigestion, and ulcers. remove parasites removal from the intestines, provide allergy relief, and provide a positive effect on skin problems and anemia and acne. It reduces heartburn and indigestion by absorbing excess stomach acids.

Bentonite clay, alone or mixed with herb powders, can be applied as a paste for use on sprains, bruises, plant rashes (poison oak, ivy, stinging nettles), and on insect bites.

For splinters, tiny embedded plant objects, pimples, boils, etc., mix a teaspoon bentonite clay with enough water to make a thick paste. Spread on affected area and bandage overnight.
_________

I am planning on using the clay in the deodorant I am planning on making and as a facial mask. If you do use it internally, you must make sure it says for internal use. There are 2 different kinds out there, but have not researched much into that area yet.

I also wanted to point out that I research every ingredient before I use them. If you are pregnant and/or nursing, please research essential oils especially to make sure they are safe to use around you and your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment