Monday, June 10, 2013

Fermented foods

As all of you know, I started fermenting with kombucha. Now that I have that down pretty well, it is now time to move on to fermented foods. I am planning on starting with carrots and sauerkraut. Maybe, just maybe, if I make it, my husband will finally try it and eat it (I'm not holding my breath though...).

I bought fermenting lids on e-Bay to go on my Ball quart and half gallon jars to start. Of course as soon as I bought them, I figured out a cheaper way to do it, but isn't that always how it goes?
My idea is to get the airlock fermentation vents with the jug stoppers and drill a hole to accommodate the stopper into the plastic ball jar lids that I have already. I'm sure that a wine making store sell these locally. Maybe, if I need more, I'll do that.

 On many other sites that have fancy fermentation gadgets, they recommend these glass weights, which are pretty cool, but start at $10! I have read on a few other sites that have more primitive roots that people used to use fist sized smooth rocks. So, off to my rock garden I will go, then bring them in and give them a good scrub (or even put them in the dishwasher with no soap). Hey, maybe it will even add some minerals while we are at it?

I will be using my recipes from my Nourishing Traditions book, especially since I have raw milk to get nutrient dense whey from.

I will try to post pictures when I start fermenting in about a week (as soon as the lids get here and I can get some organic cabbage at the store).

No comments:

Post a Comment