Friday, December 6, 2013

Garden 2014

Let's get this garden started!

Yes, it is way past time to get thinking about your garden for this coming year. The seed catalogs have been delivered and if you were going to plant garlic, the time has already past, if you are in Ohio.

This past week, I sat down and put every raised bed and idea to graph paper. With my colored pencils, I make it look like a rainbow. But it will never come to fruition, without the timing down. I also printed off a calendar from my Printshop program so I know precisely when I need to go to my growing room and start a certain plant, so it is ready to transplant come time.

I am always happy to share my hard work, so if you live near Cleveland, our expected last frost date is April 30. So here is when you need to start your seeds indoors, if you are doing any gardening close to mine.

I need to mention, we are doing a cutting flower garden this year also. In May, I will be planting permanent fruiting plants and roses around the border of our new side yard.

October/November:
Plant garlic
Larkspur - direct sow

December:
Lisianthus (first week)

January:
Luffa

February:
Broccoli  (last week)
Peppers
Cabbage
Brussels Sprouts
Kale
Tomato (next to last week)
Leeks - direct sow

Plant onion sets

March: (last week)
Turnip - direct sow
Peas - direct sow
Borage (mid month)
Celosia
Calendula
Chamomile
Arnica
Iresine
Cape daisy
Brachycome
Echinacea Purpuria
Tassel flower

April:
Zucchini/Squash (second week)
Direct sow (week of last frost):
Black Cumin
Fennel
Dill
Carnation
Bee balm
Yarrow
Poppy
Blue star sea holly
Lemongrass
Lemon balm
Plant 2nd/3rd week out in garden:
Broccoli
Kale
Cabbage
Brussels Sprouts

May: (2nd/3rd week)
Direct sow:
Cucumber
Carrot
Green bean
Watermelon
Marigold
Nasturtium

Plant all other plants in the garden after they have properly been hardened off and there are no signs of frost.

For permanent plants, we are going big. I have a Redhaven Peach tree, Bartlett Pear, and a Bosc Pear tree that I have been dreaming about for years. I also have 5 types of strawberries (Ozark Beauty, Chandler, Allstar, Eversweet, and Éclair), gooseberries (Invicta and Pink), blueberries (Blue Jay, Duke, Patriot, Blue Ray, Sierra, Elliott, Jersey, and St. Cloud), raspberries (Canby Thornless), blackberries (Navaho), elderberries (Nova and York OR Samdal and Haschberg, I haven't decided on the strain just yet), Jersey asparagus, kiwi (Issai), and heirloom roses (Apothecary, York & Lancaster, Alba Semi-Plena, Rosa Mundi, and Amazing Grace...possibly one or two more), that will produce edible rose hips as well as yummy teas (so I've heard...).  Everything is organic or traditionally grown, so I don't have to worry about pesticides being used on them.

I already have rhubarb that I planted last year. I can't wait to finally be able to harvest it this year!

Anyway, for the most part, if it can't eaten or at least enjoyed in our household, it is not being grown. Our new philosophy is, if it can't be eaten or used in a healthful way, it doesn't belong in our gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment