Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Homeschooling

  As of yesterday, our homeschooling adventure has officially begun. No, I am not forcing Tabitha to do anything. She has been begging me for a couple weeks now to start "Kindergarten". Yesterday I finally said to myself, "Why am I denying her to learn just because the calendar says it's summer?"

  Tabitha was so thrilled that I told her we would start yesterday and was anxiously waiting for me to gather her books, ereader, and my (unfinished) scheduler. As I sat down she was literally bouncing with excitement. I thought, how I wished that I had been that excited to learn when we were FORCED to.

She started out reading Psalm 100 from the Bible. I was so happy with the way she read. She only had to have help with 2 words. Next, I let her turn on her ereader, which has most of the books on it from either Dollar Homeschooling cds or free books that recommended at Ambleside Online. I did still have to purchace a few books, but I am very confident that I have found the right mix for my family, instead of having to buy those ridiculously expensive prepackaged curriculums that you see today.

Any way, we started with McGuffey's Primer on the ereader. I just let her go at her own pace, but I had to stop her at page 10, I was afraid she would have actually read the entire book if I hadn't. We then moved on to Ray's Math and did 2 pages. Then came the real books. I read 1 chapter from A.A. Milne's Winnie-the-Pooh to her and a poem out of The Real Mother Goose.

I know that AO recommends a foriegn language, but I figured I can start that in a year or two. For now Tabitha and Grady are learning ASL (American Sign Language). So, I had her review signing numbers 1-20, since she just learned those last week.

It is just amazing what I am learning along with my children through this whole experience. As I learn more about gardening, raising rabbits, and other self sustaining ways of life, so are my children. I really don't understand why we were not taught these things when we were in school instead of the dumbed down repetitive junk that we really have no use for as adults.

As Tabitha progresses into a routine, I will be introducing a Fine Arts study, handicrafts (crocheting or sewing), and a musical instrument (piano or recorder).

I am sure that I will keep everyone updated when Tabitha starts something new and astounds me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment