Sunday, August 7, 2011

A REAL clean.

As of today I have made 7 batches of soap. I made some with and without fragrance, 1 batch of face soap, and 1 batch of shampoo. Yes, I know there are things in the store you can buy, but I have never found anything that doesn't dry me out and make me itch. Also, did you know that hardly anything that is sold as soap today is not really soap? It is detergent. All of the nice smelling body washes and hand liquids are detergent. If you read the label, you will not find (lye) sodium hydroxide on the label. Soap only needs 3 ingredients. An oil, some water, and lye.

Since I have been using my homemade soaps, I have not had any dry, cracked, or peeling skin, like I do when I use commercial "soaps". I also have not had to use any lotions, which are very bad for you too!
The shampoo bar has made my hair very soft. The face soap (complexion bar) made my skin very soft to touch and is not as oily as usual. The hand/body soap is so rich with bubbles that I started using it in the shower this week, along with my crocheted soap saver, and my skin is extra soft and my heels are, dare I say becoming less scratchy? I'm hoping this means that some day soon I will no longer have to file my heels to make them smooth.

The only downsides I see in making your own soap is the fact I have to be very careful with the lye, since it can cause chemical burns and then I have to wait for the soap to cure for 6 weeks.

I do feel like I am doing a science experiment every time I make soap, since I have to wear elbow length gloves, goggles and a face mask. I also only make soap when my husband is home and he takes the kids out of the house.

Now I totally understand why there are little handmade soap shops that people rave about, but could never afford. Making your own is so easy and if you find the right supplier for your oils and lye, very low cost as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment