Friday, August 26, 2011

Rice Soup and Wuddup n' Butter

If you come to my house and say the words "Rice Soup", my kids would go nuts and ask you where it is. I grew up eating what my kids call rice soup (not sure what we called it when I was growing up) and Wuddup n' Butter. I thought I would share with the world some really easy and yummy recipes that my kids and I think are awesome.

Rice Soup
It is basically a hot rice cereal, but we eat it any time of day.

2 cups of leftover white (or brown) rice
1 cup milk
3 tbsp (approx) of sugar - to taste
cinnamon
dried fruit (raisins, dried cherries, dried blueberries...)

Put the rice, milk, and sugar into a pan and heat until it is almost boiling. Put into bowls and sprinkle cinnamon and dried fruit on top. Stir thoroughly and serve. This makes 2-3 servings.

I actually like to put the dried fruit in the pan, but Tabitha isn't fond of it that way. I almost always make extra rice when we make Chinese so I can make this the morning after for breakfast.

Wuddup n' Butter
Not sure where the name really came from, but it's what my Grandpa George called it.

slices of bread
room temperature salted butter
karo syrup (the clear kind)
small bread plate or large ramekin
butter knife

Get a plate or ramekin and pour in some karo syrup. Put a pat or 2 of butter on top of the syrup (depending on how much karo you poured out - just eye it). Mix with butter knife. Now there are 2 ways of doing this. The neat way or the messy way. Grandpa always did the messy way. The neat way is to spread this on the bread and then eat. The messy way is to just dip the bread in and eat.

Yes, it's yummy, but no one ever said it is good for you, but neither is cake...

I hope all of you enjoy making these. I know I do

No comments:

Post a Comment