Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sprouting

Know what I just realized? I have never posted about sprouting seeds, and I have been doing this for at least 3 years now!

I sprout alfalfa, mung beans, broccoli seed, and radish seed. There are many more, but this is what I have gotten to so far. The broccoli and radish are actually a bit spicy, so I grow only a few at a time to put on my salads. The mung beans are awesome in stir fry, or any Chinese dish we make. The alfalfa go on everything. From sandwiches, wraps, or salads, it's all good. I almost forgot the red clover! It is a nice everything, sweet sprout.

I love it that mine are always nice and fresh, not the nasty, slimy things you buy at a regular grocery store. Also they are super easy to do if you have 2 essential tools. A Ball wide mouth jar and a sprouting lid. At least, this is what I use. There are many other ways to do this, but this is the easiest for me.

I bought my sprouting lids and the seeds/beans at a local health food store (Raisin Rack).

It is very simple to start. Jut read the directions that come with the sprouting lids on how much seed you need in the bottom of your jar. Fill the jar with un-chlorinated water and let sit for how long it is recommended to soak each seed, then dump out the water with your sprouting lid on, keep it upside down on a small saucer or plate and rinse 1-2 times a day until they are the sprouted, then eat.

I keep mine on my kitchen counter in front of the window. It helps me remember they are needing tended to, when I am preparing other meals.

Here is another blog that tells more about sprouting options.
http://hugatreewithme.com/3/post/2013/03/the-benefits-and-methods-of-sprouting-beans-nuts-and-other-grains1.html

This is just a start. One day I will start sprouting grains, but that will have to wait for another post.

The start of my sprouts this week. Alfalfa, Red Clover, and Mung.

Day 4 (half way point for alfalfa and clover).

Look at those beautiful mung beans! They are ready for chinese dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment