Tuesday, July 16, 2013

COCONUT!!!

As some of you may guess, coconut is one of my favorite things to use. It is so versatile. I use the oil to cook with, soap, baby rash ointment...

I thought I would make a post about how I use coconut products in our food.

1. "Almond Joys" (or Mounds if you don't like nuts, lol)
      2 tbsp. Coconut Cream Concentrate
      2 tbsp. Shredded coconut
      1 1/2 tbsp. cocoa powder (I like dark)
      1 1/2 tbsp. raw honey
      8-10 raw almonds

  Mix all in ingredients except almonds in a bowl with a fork. Put small clumps on parchment paper or a sil pat. Put an almond on each clump. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Enjoy!

2. Coconut yogurt
    I really like Liberte yogurt flavors, but don't like the fact that it's not pastured organic, so I have
   decided to make my own with Kalona plain yogurt.
  
   1 24oz tub of Kalona Plain 5%
   1 tbsp. vanilla extract (homemade)
   3+ tbsp. pure maple syrup (or honey)
   1/2 c shredded coconut
   1/2 c flaked coconut

   Mix together in a bowl. Put into jelly jars for single servings.
   I use ball jars with the plastic lids and Erasable Multi-use Labels so I can write the info and
   expiration date on top.

   I also am planning on making blueberry, strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, lemon, peach, apricot,
   etc... As long as it is in season, I will make a freezer jelly and we can have those as mix ins. I will
   just have to make a naturally sweetened base, just as the first 3 ingredients above.

3. Apricot bars
  * I use shredded coconut
I have not tried it yet, but I would think you could use almost any dried fruit in this recipe and it would be quite yummy. I am going to try medjool dates and figs soon.
  
4. Baked oatmeal 
  I have substituted the cranberries for dried cherries or mixed raisins. I sprinkle a light layer of
  shredded coconut on top after I get everything else in the casserole dish. It gets nice and toasted and
  everyone (except Eric - I sprinkle it on 3/4 of the dish) likes it.

5. Granola
    I do not use the vegetable oil. I replace it with coconut oil, but you could use sunflower seed oil
    also. I also do not add the nuts/seeds until afterward. I use raw nuts and seeds, which have more
    nutrition. You could also sprout your nuts and seeds for even more nutrition.

   You can also used any dried fruit as long as it is diced (apricots, figs, dates...).

   I double the cinnamon and vanilla, since we really like cinnamon and vanilla around here.
   
    For coconut-y granola, I use virgin coconut oil and 1/2 cup of shredded coconut. If you don't want
    the coconut flavor, but the benefits still, use expeller pressed.

    For chocolate granola, I add 3 tbsp. of cocoa powder (1/2 batch)

   So far I don't think one of my batches has ever been the same. I love experimenting with different
   ingredients. Also, I usually 1/2 this recipe, as it makes a lot.
  
   I use this for snack time and cereal.


Here are a couple things I have not gotten around to try yet.

1. Homemade Magic Shell Topping
  
    Eric loves this stuff, yet the commercial stuff is so bad for you. I found this recipe a couple weeks
   ago.

2. Maple Pecan Ice cream
   There are even more recipes online. I have a few more, if interested contact me.
   I really like coconut ice cream. I was first introduced to it through our co-op. The brand is Luna & Larry, but I just can't afford to buy it more than maybe once a year, if that! So, I am on the hunt for
  delicious, do it yourself recipes. Now all I need is an ice cream maker. Anyone want to buy one for
  me?

No comments:

Post a Comment