Saturday, May 17, 2014

Time to Plant 6

This past week I got everything in the ground, including all the cool things I bought from the SCOFF.  I can't wait for fresh veggies!

I also was able to harvest a little asparagus, from the plants that are now 4 years old and my rhubarb which is 3 years old.

I made strawberry rhubarb refrigerator jam to be able to add to our Kalona yogurt I buy from co-op.

Here is how I make it.

1 bag frozen strawberries (Woodstock)
2-3 cups sliced rhubarb chunks
1/4 cup (or less) sugar
2 tbsp water

Put in a stainless pan and simmer over med low heat until all is mashed and thickened.
Stir every so often so it doesn't burn.
Pour in a quart ball jar and let cool before putting it in the fridge.
Use within 2 weeks.

You can put it in small jelly jars and freeze it to make it last longer.

To put in yogurt, I put about 2 tbsp in a jelly jar and fill the rest with my maple vanilla yogurt. I make about 8 ahead of time so they can be eaten whenever the children are "starving" between meals or as an easy breakfast. The plastic ball jar lids are wonderful for this purpose.

Maple vanilla yogurt:
1 large tub of yogurt
3 tbsp local maple syrup
3 tsp homemade vanilla extract

No comments:

Post a Comment