Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tortured at the hospital

I really think it is the medical communities ambition to torture people.
When we were in the ER the other night, all I wanted was a simple ultrasound to see what was going on with me. But that is not what happened. I was first ushered into room #26 (out of 40 some) told to give a urine sample, then was asked everytime a new person came in what my birthdate was and my name, like I'm lying to them about who I am. Then was told I would be having my blood drawn, an internal exam and be prepped for a catheter. A WHAT!?!?! I guess it is Aultman's regular procedure, that if you are less than 14 weeks along that you must have a catheter in so they can fill your bladder to do an ultrasound. I made my voice known that I was not happy with that. They gave me an alternative to drink 2 quarts of water as fast as I can so that my bladder would be full. I chose the water and was told to let them know when I felt like I was going to explode. Well, I actually got all the water down and I felt like I was going to explode. The KIND nurse, then informed me that I would have to hold it for at least an hour to an hour and a half before they would take me to ultrasound. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? I danced around my little walk way for 30 minutes and told Eric to call to check on the kids, which meant going out to the lobby. During that time, I was hurting badly from having to pee. I kept looking out my little curtain waiting to see the nurse so I could say "I surrender". Thank goodness about 45 minutes into this torture a nice male nurse came to wheel me away to ultrasound. THEN once I arrived I was made to lay flat while the US tech pressed my belly and all I could do was breathe heavy and moan. If I talked, I know I would have peed everywhere. After that I was fianlly allowed to pee. I never knew how much my poor bladder could hold. I was on the toilet for a good 5 minutes. After that was the WONDERFUL vaginal ultrasound. She couldn't get a good look at my left ovary and was pressing an internal nerve that almost had me in tears. I was applying counter pressure on my back so I didn't start screaming.
Finally I was wheeled back to my little space to see Eric back from his "snack time". Then the waiting began. I was in the ER for 3 1/2 hours just to recieve word that I had an empty sac. My diagnosis was "an inevitable miscarriage". The Doctor said "Sorry about the bad news, get dressed and you can go". I saw the doctor for a total of 3 minutes. I bet those 3 minutes are going to cost me a bundle too...

No comments:

Post a Comment