Monday, September 29, 2014

Update and Elimination Diet

Wow! I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to blogging, but life this summer was pretty crazy. Even right now life is not normal.

All summer it seemed to rain too much and my garden over grew with weeds and choked out most of everything I so lovingly planted in the spring.

In August, Eric had 2 huge jobs that were at least an hour away, and thankfully we had just purchased a used travel trailer, so we decided to pack up and go with him. All I have to say is that it was quite an eye opening adventure. We stayed at a total of 4 different RV parks in a span of 4 1/2 weeks. We know that we will never be visiting 3 of them again. We really enjoyed our stay at Heritage Hills in Thompson, OH. I enjoyed that the owners were at the front actually working and interacting with their guests. It was nice to get to know them and their beautiful Golden Retriever, Shiloh. Once we got home, we had to get used to life in our house again.

In the past 2 weeks, we have had our grass done again and it is finally growing! We also had a mishap with Carmel, our orange and white Tabby, with his tail. We find out tomorrow if it is healing correctly or if he has to have the top half amputated...


The last thing is, I have had some things going on for the past year personally, that I have tried everything under the sun to get rid of myself. Nothing worked and it just got worse, so I finally found a naturopath and decided to give her a try. As of tomorrow, I will be on the Elimination Diet and I would like to keep a blog journal to show what I eat everyday and hopefully in the end be healed as well as help others who are searching for ideas on what to eat on this diet.  On the diet itself, here is the list I am not allowed to eat:
Conventionally raised meats
All dairy
Gluten containing foods
Corn
Eggs
Soy
Nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, eggplant, white potatoes and peppers)
Citrus fruits
Coffee, tea, chocolate, alcohol
Sugar & artificial sweeteners
Food additives
Peanuts
Harmful oils (canola, safflower, sunflower, corn, Wesson, or peanut)
Condiments
Fermented foods (even vinegars)
Yeast
Fungi (mushrooms)
Chlorinated tap water

So, what does that really leave?
Here is the list to eat. Everything needs to be organic!
Protein (poultry, lamb, lean beef, lean pork, and wild game)
Milk substitutes (almond, rice, coconut)
Grains (brown or basmati rice, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, tapioca, oats)
Beans
Vegetables
Fruits (fresh or dried without sulfates, sweeteners or preservatives)
Sweeteners (raw honey, local maple syrup, stevia)
Nuts & seeds (sprouted, raw or dry roasted only)
Oils (organic cold-expeller pressed olive oil, flax, coconut, avocado, walnut, hazelnut, or sesame)
Spices and herbs (except cayenne, paprika, or other peppers)
Beverages (water, decaf green tea, herbal teas)

Over the next few weeks, as I go through this, I hope to keep a blog journal with my daily menu of what I find to eat (please don't expect anything too gourmet or exciting...). I hope to help others, as I have already said, that are doing this too, as there are so many variations of this and it seems mine is much more strict than most others out there. I have checked many other blogs and sites and have mostly given up because they almost always have something in the recipes that I am not allowed to have.

Even as I type, I have a batch of homemade pear sauce in the crockpot making pear butter for me to be able to eat, since every single 100% fruit preserves out there has citric acid in it. I will also be making my own baking powder, since they all contain corn starch. I spent an hour yesterday in the gluten free section at my local health food store and ended up only buying 1 thing (rice noodles), because everything had either corn or potato starch as binders in their ingredient list. It was very frustrating. So, as of tomorrow morning, I will embark on a new and challenging endeavor. Hopefully all my followers will learn something along with me.

If you do decide to do this, please comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment