Thursday, February 3, 2011

Journey of a natural miscarriage

WARNING!!! If you are squeemish, do not read. This is my account of natural miscarriage. I am trying to dispell some of the people out there who are trying to say that this is horrifically painful. I know that it is not comfortable, but just like labor, it is completely managable if you don't freak out and let your body proccess everything naturally and progressively!


Well, it all started about January 12th. I started having brown discharge, but no more than any other pregnancy, so I really wasn't worried. It was off and on for a few days, then became consistent. I mentioned it to my midwife and we decided to keep an eye on it.

On January 18, I woke up for my nightly bathroom run to find pink on the tissue. My heart lept into my throat. The next day it turned into bright red. After a couple days of off and on "spotting" we finally decided to get checked out, hoping that it was just a cyst that was being irritated.
If you have kept up with my blog, then you know what happened at the hospital.

Around January 26 the spotting got heavy enough that I had to start wearing a pad.

February 1, there was a huge ice storm that took out our power around 10:30 pm. Around 5 am on the 2nd, I again went for my nightly bathroom break and started cramping. I didn't want to bother Eric about it incase they just fizzled out. At around 7 Eric got up to call his customer to tell her there was no way he would be there, and I mentioned I was still cramping.

I slept until about 10:30 and was still cramping. I got up, ate breakfast and all of the sudden as I was putting my dishes in the sink, I started gushing blood. I had Eric call our midwife and make sure everything was right and went over a couple more things. Then, what I am calling "nauseated hotflashes", started. I had Eric "help" me get to the floor without really touching me. At that second I felt like I was in labor. I only had that happen 1 other time so far about an hour after the first. I kept waiting and waiting for more, but haven't had anything else yet. I am now having like a heavy period. Not really anything new, like after having a baby. It's also a huge advantage that Grady is still nursing.

I also want to include that I wasn't totally unprepared. I do have many homeopathic remedies that I could have taken if needed.

We decided to have a natural miscarriage for many reasons.
1. There is no reason to have anything medical done unless something is seriously wrong, which there wasn't.
2. There are too many side effects of D&C to just go to the hospital and trust anything to go perfectly fine.

http://www.suite101.com/content/risks-and-benefits-of-a-dc-after-a-miscarriage-a120828

There are so many more reasons, but I really don't want to sit here and list them all.

For us, this was definitely the way to go, in our house, in privacy, with the people I care about the absolute most.

2 comments:

  1. What's your preferred brand of homeopathic remedies? Also, what book would you recommend for someone who's just starting to figure out remedies and doses? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond! I haven't checked my blog in far too long. I mostly use Boiron because that is what is sold in health food stores around me. I also use Hyland's for infant teething products. My go to book is Homeopathic Self-Care by Ullman. If I don't find what I need in there I use http://www.abchomeopathy.com/. Also, during pregnancy, if I need anything, I use Homeopathic Medicines for Pregnancy and Childbirth by Richard Moskowitz. I hope this helps.

      Delete