Monday, February 14, 2011

Nursing a toddler

Tonight as I was checking on facebook what everyone is up to today, I came across this post. http://www.drmomma.org/2011/02/joy-of-nursing-toddlers-photo-gallery.html

It got me thinking. I posted a couple days ago that I appreciate my non-stop nurser more than ever now. Since my miscarriage I have been doing a lot of soul searching. I feel very guilty in giving in to peer pressure that was around me after Grady was born and I was still nursing Tabitha. I was told that she was "old enough not to do that now", among other things. The day that she turned 3 1/2 years old was the last day that I let her have "nini". I really regret that now. I had promised myself that I would let her self-wean, but others were getting in my sleep deprived brain.

I really enjoy nursing my children. It helps them over come bumps and bruises, as well as other obstacles of life. It also makes me, as a mother, to sit down and actually relax, so I don't get too involved in cleaning the house, etc. It makes me spend LOTS of time with my children, which is why I am staying home with them in the first place, right??

This time nursing my toddler helped me in a way that I had hoped would never happen. He helped my uterus clamp down and helped the bleeding to lessen during and after the miscarriage. It is amazing how our bodies are designed and how just the act of nursing a child helps us at times.

I fully intend to nurse Grady until he is done, which is probably not going to be anytime soon, since he still nurses on-demand every 2-3 hours. I don't know what I would do without my little man. He brings joy into our lives everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment