Friday, December 24, 2010

Memories by grade, part 2

8th Grade, Von Steuben Middle School

This year changed my life. After being such a disappointment to all of my teachers and parents acedemically. Everything clicked this year. I even excelled in band and choir. Damon and I also ran an after school bible study once a week.

1. I was not "dumb" anymore. I think the curriculum was so far behind what I already knew, it was a relief to actually take a year to "review" everything. Everyone actually thought I was smart!

2. I loved being in band and choir. I excelled in the competitions and the teachers were very supportive and friendly. I actually was allowed to have fun during classes and performances.

3. I had my first boyfriend, but not for long. My only "date" with him was to see Heavy Weights and my dad sat between us the whole movie... how embarrassing!!


9th - 12th Grade, Richwoods Community High School, Health/Science Academy,
Mrs. Roddy, Miss Kapchinske, Mrs. McClain , Mr. Wong, and many more (Sr. Smith "Esmis")

I made many friends and came across a select few from my past at PCS.

I did not excel in band. I felt like a fool. I was never able to practice at home, so I was never good enough for more than last chair. The only fun part was marching band and when we played during basketball games, which Mr. Jirousek abhorred.

I excelled in the HSA. I was still considered "smart" by my class mates and easily made friends with my academy teachers (non-academy teachers were another story).

I climbed the ranks of HSA Government, eventually being President my senior year.

I was in the church Teen Choir and enjoyed having solos and going on tour once a year. I think this is what really helped me through high school the most. I was also in a girls chorus my junior year, but we only performed once. I was actually really surprised I even got into the "exclusive" little click. Guess they were surprised I could hold a tune throughout and entire song accapella :)

I got to drive my "BEEQUA-mobile" to school.

I babysat once for my spanish teacher, Mr. Smith.

I had 2 boyfiends during high school. One was my first kiss, who moved away to live with his dad, the other is now my husband :)

I always had to rely on my very good band friend to set me up with a date to all the dances, except for 4 of them. The first 2 of my hand picked dates were disasters, the last 2 were with Eric.

I held a job throughout high school as a child care provider on Wednesday nights and some school holidays for Mother's Day Out group at church.

I was both relieved and jealous that I never got to go to the youth programs with people my own age. Relieved because I didn't want to really hang out with the people that went to PCS, and jealous because they got to go on retreats and such, since most people at my church (and PCS) had doctors, lawyers, and such as parents. I would have never been able to afford that. Also everyone knew we rented from the church. If the retreats were leaving and I was home, I would secretly watch everyone pile into the charter buses out of my window, since we lived right next to the parking lot.

When I turned 16, I had 2 jobs so I could pay for Damon and I to have lunches at school and pay for my car insurance and gas. What ever was left over was for clothes I got at discount at Bergners and little outings with friends (which were far and few between).

I got a job at Subway to, I guess you could kind of call it stalking..., I had a crush on a guy that worked there. It really was a bad idea.

My next job was at Bergners. I will never work retail again. My feet killed me and I KNOW that I worked more than I was supposed to. No teen should be working past midnight.

The HSA led me to a job working in the Children's hospital. I am very greatful for my experiences there, but I could never do that again. It is just too emotional (and germy...).

My senior year I was able to go to college for 1/2 a day. I became a Certified Nursing Assistant. I was trained in a nursing home. I will never work in one of those ever again, but it did give me knowledge later to help take care of my Grandpa the last few days of his life.

My senior trip was to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I am really glad my Grandma had me saving what little I could from the time I started making money. I had such an awesome experience. Even though 90% of the people who went, went just because it was legal to drink down there. Not saying I didn't drink too, but I learned that was going to be the first and last time I was ever going to get drunk...

No comments:

Post a Comment