Monday, December 6, 2010

Memories by grade pt 1

I really don't remember anything in my life before 1st grade. I have picture albums galore, but no real memories.

The only thing about Kindergarten is that my teacher's name was Mrs. Trilikis and I went to Hines Elementary.

1st Grade, Peoria Christian School (PCS), Mrs. Gross

I remember 4 distinct things about this class.

1. My grandparents surprised me and the class with a (early) birthday party for me. My birthday was always right before school started and almost everyone else got to bring in cupcakes during the year. Grandpa was a Shriner clown, so he dressed up in his YoYo attire and blew up ballons for my classmates.

2. Story time on a huge piece of carpet.

3. One of my classmates brough in a real frog for show and tell and it got loose. I caught it :) (I was such a tomboy!

4. There was only 1 bathroom break a day. We were taking a test and I peed all over the floor because I didn't want to get in trouble.

2nd Grade, PCS, Mrs. ?

1. We read Pilgrim's Progress

2. Chasing boys on the playground and getting the scars on my knees.

3. Hatching chicks for a science experiment.

4. Bug raising in our classroom (praying mantis, caterpillar)

5. Faking sick to go to the office and get some Tums. (We all did it...)

3rd Grade, PCS, Mrs. Sheets

I remember my first lie. It seemed like everyone in my class was going to have a new sibling, so I decided I felt left out and told her that my mom was expecting too. Boy did I get it, because Mrs. Sheets called mom that night to congratulate her!

I ended up babysitting her children a couple of times 7 years later.

4th Grade, PCS, Mrs. J. Smith

One of the most memorable.

1. She was into performing. We did lots of musical things for Grandparents Day and President's Day. We had a few field trips to local nursing homes.

2. I was "diagnosed" with ADD, put on Ritalin and got bifocal glasses.

3. Everyone thought I needed to be held back a year.

4.Got to have a locker for the first time.

4th Grade, PCS, Miss Job

The only thing I really remember is that no one at home took interest in my everyday school life, so I thought that I could get away with not memorizing a book of scripture. Not so! I still had to go to school that day and stand in front of the class and recite the first verse that I did know and embarrass myself that I hadn't done what I was supposed to. Needless to say, I got an F on that day. I also only chose that passage because I had a crush on this boy that did the same passage the year before. That boy was killed in high school by a "friend" over a girl.

Music teachers:
Mr. Heinemann - 4th through 7th - violin

1. Dad made my life unbearable around him. He had some kind of male ego thing or something with him and they both took it out on me

Mrs. Arnett - general music/ plays/ choir - 1st through 7th

1. I never was in a play until 6th grade, not sure why, and it was only because everyone had to be on stage at least once before 6th grade.

2. In 7th I was stuck in the alto section instaed of the sopranos, which didn't make me happy, but it seemed as though I was the only one who knew the notes when it came to concert time. Maybe it was on purpose?

3. The musicals were always a big production.

4. It always seemed as if my parents never cared. Grandma and Grandpa always had to take us to our performances, then we would hope that our parents would make it. Dad rarely did, or if he did, was always on call and everyone heard his beeper going off during the performamces.

PE - Mrs. Fox - 1st through 7th

1. I was never good enough for her, she would pick on me to no end.

2. I had never seen a sport being played EVER until I was in 7th grade, when my friend brought me to a game, since she was a cheerleader.
The first time we tryed playing soft ball, I had no idea what in the world I was doing. Everone else knew what to do. I actually hit the ball... and then ran all the bases. There were people on the bases, I was clueless.

3. I actually wanted to try playing volleyball and be a cheerleader, but my parents didn't want to have to come to the games and my Mom told me that I would definitely get hurt, so the answer was NO!

5th Grade, PCS, Mrs. N Smith

Oh boy! Here we go...

1. I became teacher's pet this year. She was a very old lady and I did everything to please her.

2. We had a guinea pig for a class pet. I had guinea pigs at home too. I brought my guinea pig over for a "play date" and we ended up with 5 little guinea pigs a couple months later, lol!

3. My Mom and a friend talked me into chopping off all my hair. What a horrible mistake! I was made fun of at school and church. We eventually tried perming it also. NEVER AGAIN!!

6th Grade, PCS, Mrs. Brooks (Miss Job) & Mrs. Mackay

Nothing really remarkable.

7th Grade, Mrs. Patterson, Mr. Guess, Mr. Rosenberger, Mrs. Brooks , Mrs. Meyers & Miss White

1. We were the first class to be in the new addition to the school.

2. I was a bawling mess at the awards ceremony because my grandparents decided they couldn't afford to send us to private school anymore. I was more scared than anything because of the horror stories they told us about public schools.

**This is a big turning point in my life - up next...

No comments:

Post a Comment