Monday, December 6, 2010

Spending the night / being there for your children

Ok, I will say this up front. This is my opinion, not everyone's. After tyoing this all out, it is more of a personal rant, so if you don't want to read it, I don't blame you. It just stuff that Damon and I talk about and I really need to get off my chest.

I really don't understand why I keep getting presure from my Mom for Tabitha to spend the night. I have said no, and no means no right? Why keep telling Tabitha behind my back that she can spend the night sometime, only for me to repeatedly say NO! and make Tabitha upset.

I guess she thinks that since Damon and I were always carted off to my grandparents so they could have "adult time", she thinks I should do the same. They were always busy with everything under the sun, except for their children. Sure, Mom stayed home and ran a daycare so we wouldn't have to have a babysitter, but was never "there". We were always expected to help keep the kids occupied and clean up after them at the end of the day. Then there was always church that was Sunday morning, Sunday night choir practice (for Damon and I), and Wednesday night choir practice (for the adults). Then there was bowling league on Thursday nights. After all that commotion during the week, we spent at least 1 more night with my grandparents. And she wonders why we had such an attachment to them instead of her?

I honestly do not remember being home very much, there was always something to do. If it wasn't something going on at church, there was always something for school, like a concert or play, which was like pulling teeth to get anyone there to see us perform, let alone get there ourselves.

That's another thing! In between us coming home from school and bedtime, as we helped with the daycare, there was never anytime for us to finish our homework or practice our instruments because "it's too loud" and as we got older we would always come home during nap times and get yelled at. I was always so embarrassed that I couldn't play my musical parts correct, since the only time I got to play my instrument was in class. It was even worse in high school, when I played the flute, since we had to stand in front of the class and play "the hard parts" of very hard classical pieces. I never had a real chance. As soon as I moved here with Eric I sold the flute on Ebay, since it had so many bad memories, but to this day I still have my violin...

When I was in my 2nd year of 4th grade, I remember my grandma always picking me up from school and going to her house in order to practice my violin, so her money spent on private lessons was not wasted. She also was the one who helped me learn math. I really don't think anyone knew how much Damon and I hated school.

This, and many more reasons is why Eric & I have decided to homeschool our children and not let them be juggled around here and there. When you are married and have a family, that is what you are... a family. I couldn't imagine having any of my children away from me more than 2-3 hours. Also, I know that emotionally Tabitha is not ready for that either (hence the family bedroom).

I know through my blog I will be venting about my childhood more, but I thought I should stop at this point, or I might just write a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment