Sunday, October 5, 2014

Don't throw out the left over "juice"!

I wanted to just say, that anyone who uses a crock pot regularly must save the left over "juice" or broth after making pulled pork, pulled beef, or chicken. The left overs are NOT to go down the drain. They are a very healthy broth that can be used for quick soups or other miscellaneous things in recipes.
I made pulled beef the other night and I strained 2 1/2 quarts of broth ready for me to put beans or lentils and maybe some rice noodles for a quick and yummy soup.
 If you are going to freeze it, make sure you use a freezer safe ball jar, otherwise (ahem...) it will shatter and you will lose not only a jar and precious, nutritious broth, you will have quite a mess to clean up.
If anyone is wondering how to do this, it is extremely simple. Yes, you will need one of those big ones.

1 whole chicken, pork butt, beef roast (or any other whole small animal, such as rabbit)
spices that go with that particular meat
salt to taste
celery rough chopped
carrots rough chopped
Optional - potato or sweet potato rough chopped
enough filtered water to cover it all
Turn your crock pot on high for 6-8 hours or low for up to 12 hours

Spices I use:
Chicken: basil, thyme, sage, rosemary, and oregano
Pork: sage, thyme, and ground coriander
Beef: thyme and bay leaf

I purchase all of my spices from our Coop in bulk. I spend the same amount on organic spices in a pound bag, as I do buying those organic jars in the store... Think about THAT! I store all of my spices in either glass ball jars with those new spice jar lids or a previously used bulk spice container I got from BJ's (kind of like a Sam's or Costco, but with lots of organics).

No comments:

Post a Comment