Thursday, October 2, 2014

Pitting Dates

OK, it may just be me, but I had no idea how easy it was to pit a date!

I have had 2lbs of medjool dates in my refrigerator for more than a couple of months. I was on my Coop website and saw that they were on a list for the group to split, so I got some. The only thing is, it wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting those premade things with the powder all over them. These are the real deal... with pits! I found out the hard way that they had pits in them too. So, after I tried to eat one, I put them lovingly in the back of my basement refrigerator and forgot about them, until now. This Elimination Diet has me digging deep into my pantry and depths of my extra stores in the basement side-by-side. I knew I had quite a bit of dried unsulphured, unsweetened fruit in the basement. I get it through our Coop when there is a sale and everyone else wants some too. I had dried cherries, prunes, papaya, apricots, cranberries, apple rings, and low and behold the dreaded dates.

So, I went looking on the world wide web. Do you know what I found? How to pit dates! Think about that... AND it takes about 2 seconds to do (per date).

Let me show you in pictures what I did today.

First, I got a few handfuls out.

Second, I scored the side of the date.

Lastly, I opened the date and pulled out the pit.

I am awe struck how easy this was and how long I have had them thinking they were a waste, because I didn't want to get all sticky and messy trying to pull out a pit (I was thinking prune-ish).

There you have it. Next time you see dates in your local health food store or have a Coop of your own to buy them from, you don't have to be scared. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3.

Now to make a few dried fruit bars and some date paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment