Saturday, October 4, 2014

Maxi nursing dress

In approximately June, I was tired of wearing skirts and t-shirts in order to be modest. I love skirts, but I wanted something different. So, I went to the drawing board. I went through all of my patterns and tried to see what would work together. WALLAH! I had a prairie top pattern and a maxi skirt how-to in my stash.
In the pictures, you will see that I made the prairie top, but shortened it slightly, then added elastic to the mid section to make it an empire. I then made a maxi skirt that overlaps my bra band. I am pretty pleased with the first 2 I made. I will be fixing a few thing here and there, but overall I am very happy with the results.  The 2nd is pretty wild (I've been told I look like a jail bird and not to wear both pieces at the same time. I had to make another solid color top...), but I found the material in the back of my stash and the skirt is a little more relaxed than my proto type.
I now have something to wear out that is comfortable and pretty. All you have to do is lift the empire slightly and latch baby (or toddler) on.
If anyone would like to make this too, I used the Ringger Peasant Top pattern and a similar maxi skirt tutorial. On the top, I found the knit too hard to work with to make the elastic casing on the neck, so I just hemmed the neck, then added 1/4" elastic under the seam stitches, using the same length indicated, just stretching with a zigzag stitch, just as you do already with the sleeves. Instead of the fold over waist, I lengthened the skirt and added 1-1/2" braided elastic to the top, since it wasn't going to be seen anyway and I could also just cut it to my bra band size (with 1/4" seam allowance).

Made with Modal knit from Jo-Ann Fabrics


 

2 comments:

  1. I think you look quite nice in both the puple and

    also the striped blouse and skirt worn together.

    ReplyDelete